Tuesday, September 7, 2010

To Polka Dot or Not To Polka Dot?

One of the mysterious things about "boy world" is baby boy clothing. Everywhere I turn there is beautiful, awesome, adorable baby girl clothing...but in the world of boy clothing the options are few and far between. Not that there isn't cute boy clothing, you just have to search really hard to find things that don't have monkeys, creatures, robots, superheros, or other crazy decals all over it. Compared to girls' clothing the selection just isn't there either. I actually counted the racks of girls clothes versus boys clothes available at Target the other day. Let me just say it wasn't 50/50.
It doesn't help that I have a very clear idea of what I want my baby boy to wear. I spend a lot of time searching the internet for it, only to find a few pieces that are even considerable per site. It's not that I am against boy clothing altogether. I actually was a Men's Merchandiser at Banana Republic and it was so much fun to create tie, sweater, woven combos for bust forms and wall features. I've been know to give a lot of fashion advice to Patrick as well, who now invented a day called "Bow-Tie Tuesdays".  I am now in search of baby versions of the men's clothing I admire.
After wading through all the monkey, dinosaur, robot, baby chicken, dog print sleepers and gowns I decided to venture into the gender neutral section of clothing on one website. Surely gender neutral clothing would provide a nice selection of chocolate, sage, and cocoa colored clothing that was void of any obnoxious gender fueled prints, right? I think I fell in love. I found so many things that began filling up my on-line cart that I became drunk on gender neutral clothing...
Until it arrived in the mail. It was then that I realized what I had purchased. I began to see why I had liked the clothing so much... It was girls' clothing in neutral colors! I had convinced myself that these items were amazing because they looked like all the things I had longed to buy from the girl's section but couldn't. Not only do they make way more clothing for girls- they also make the neutral clothing for girls! I had actually purchased several adorable items with polka dots on them. Hey! They were in the neutral section! I became convinced that polka dots were neutral. Once they appeared in my hand I had to admit. POLKA DOTS ARE NOT NEUTRAL.
And so my quest continues...

Here is an example of my idea of boy clothing. Perfect with a chocolate and white striped onesie and a smart pair of pants!

In other baby news: Week 35 here we come!
Today Pat and I spent labor day...sleeping! I have loved being pregnant, but the sleepless nights due to hourly bathroom breaks, hip and joint stretching, and charlie horses have been more and more frequent. Last night I finally drifted off to sleep around 12:30 only to wake up at 1:45, 3:00, 4:10, and finally 5:00. At 5:00 I decided to just get up for the day. I spent the quiet hours of the morning finishing up my "Attachment Parenting" book by Dr. Sears, then eating Pop-Tarts while watching reruns of "Keeping Up With the Kardashians"  and finally pacing back and forth with Ellie out in front of our house. By 9:30 a.m I was exhausted. Pat has been nursing a cold all weekend so he has been sleeping on the couch (another reason I can't sleep). Our couch isn't the most comfortable and by 10:00a.m we both decided we were due for a nap. I slept the day away. It was magical.
One of the things that has truly helped me get through the third trimester is my love of Ted Drewes Abaca Mocha Regular Size Concrete. I have forced Pat to take me at least three times a week (tick, tick, tick go the numbers on the scale). It doesn't hurt that the Ted Drewes on Grand is literally one block South of our street and is within walking distance (although we've never walked there). Unfortunately, today we found out it is closing its doors for the season! Below is my last Abaca Mocha before the baby arrives :(
Is that a baby bump or just a food baby?
Baby Jack Loves Ted Drewes Too!

3 comments:

  1. I was wrroied when I first began to read this post....it looks like you're coming around to the reality that it's tough to GQ up a boy, not only in the sense that there isn't muchout there, but also you'll surely get pushback from Neanderthal grandpas in Arizona who are waiting to meet their rough, tough, macho grandsons and will surely (and now we know mistakenly) buy clothes with dinosaurs, superheroes, etc. on them because thats what we did for Jack's dad and we all know how good he turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told you not to order those girly polka-dot clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Molly! Just saw your blog on FB and catching up...

    I totally know what you are saying about boy clothes! I LOVE dressing my little man but I can't help perusing the girly racks at Target sometimes..sigh. Not much cute stuff for boys out there.

    -Susan

    ReplyDelete

It's fun when you leave a message! It makes me feel neat.