So...one of my good old friends just asked me if I have any advice (since baby #2) on what to register for. If you haven't already read It's All a Racket (circa 2010) you should click on that title and give it a read. It's a good one. But yes. In fact I have found some very essential things one needs when having 2 children under 3 or for mamas just starting out on this cool adventure. I also recommend joining Amazon Mom for free 2 day shipping and registering there as well. Target is always sold out of things and Babies R Us is so far away for us city dwellers.
Here it goes:
(not in order of importance or relevancy)
1) Thermal Swaddle Blankets: These are the best blankets around and are half the price of their luxurious cousins (the muslin blanket). Jack still carries his around and refers to him with a male pronoun..."Where is Him?" "Did you wash him today?"
Thermal Blanket: Buy it here
2) California Baby Calendula Cream: you can use this from head to toe for every rash imaginable... cradle cap, diaper rash, sunburn (let's hope your stroller's shade covers every inch of them)
California Baby: Buy Here
3) Dr. Sears Sling: I don't like those Baby Bjorn carriers...AT ALL. However, I know some people that pretty much wear theirs everywhere but the shower. For me it's too complicated and has too many straps and is too not cute. I enjoy this sling which is no fuss and is recommended by Dr. Sears. If you don't know him as the attachment parenting guru than perhaps you should google that and stop reading this.
Dr. Sears Sling- Buy Here
4) City Mini Jogger Double Stroller: The BEST, lightest- weight double jogging stroller out there. It is in the mid range price-wise but well worth it. It also folds down so small it can fit in my sister's Jetta. Boom! It also only knocks some stuff off the shelf when shopping at Baby Gap (why is that place so claustrophobic?) I don't like the double strollers where one child is stuffed underneath or forced to stand. That sounds like torture to me. I like them to have equal opportunity viewing enjoyment. You can always buy this off of ebay too. You could probably score one of the uglier colors for cheaper :)
City Mini Double-Buy Here
5) Backpack Diaper Bag (mom of two must have) If you have two boys or two wild children of any sex you will need a backpack diaper bag that is firmly in place when chasing these people around or carrying all this crap into the house while holding a toddlers hand and a car seat at the same time.
Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack- Buy Here
6) Dr. Brown bottles-Wide Neck
Finny was slow to learn to suck. I self diagnoised him with failure to thrive. These are the only bottles that he was able to latch onto that didn't make him spit up gallons of milk afterwards.
Dr. Brown Wide Neck Bottles-Buy Here
7) Shower Bra: Weird right? But you will need this otherwise you will have let-down in the warm water and be covered with milk. If you don't mind that then you won't need to buy this, but I recommend checking it out for the hilarious pictures anyway.
Shower Bra- Buy Here
8) Sleep Bras and Camis: You have to get the Bravado! Sleep Bras and Camies. They are rather pricey but VERY worth it. I shant have you running around town without the proper support on those giant breastfeeding boobs you'll have. I just won't allow it.
Bravado Sleep Bras-Buy Here
9) Soy Formula: In the event that you need formula I seriously would consider using Soy. It is much gentlier and I have tried every "gentleease" formula out there. You're doctor will say they are concerned about protein and iron but you can always give supplements for that. Plus, Finny now has no problem packing on the pounds (4 months and 14lbs...not bad)
Soy Formula: Buy Here
10) Socks that stay on: These are really cute. The girls ones are way cuter. Story of my life...
Trumpette Socks: Buy Here
12) Rock and Play Sleeper: I LOVE this! I have my babies sleep in our bedroom until they are sleeping through the night. The co-sleepers scare me because they look like one of my giant babies would fall on the floor in it. This is also super portable...like when you want your baby to stay over night at gammy's so that you can go on a pub crawl.
Fisher Price Rock and Play: Buy Here
13) Blooming Bath: This is amazing. I always struggled to bathe Jack because I had to lean over into the bathtub and make sure he didn't slip down under the wa-wa. This time I got smart and ordered this. Finny bathed in the kitchen sink with this until 3.5 months. Now he is agile and quick on his feet so he can go in the tubby with brother in a regular baby tub.
Blooming Bath: Buy Here
14) Mustela Cradle Cap shampoo: If you ever had a run in with cradle cap (looks like ear wax on their head). You know how desperate you are to clear it up. This works like a charm. You massage in the foam and then scrub, scrub, scrub with a washcloth and then put California Baby Calendula Cream on after brushing out any excess flakes. Wash every day for best results.
Mustela Cradle Cap Wash- Buy Here
15) Non scented bath products: My kids...well my whole family has super sensitive skin. I recommend not using any scented anything (lotions, soap, detergent, dryer sheets) on them until they are 4-6 months of age.
California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo and Body Wash- Buy Here
16) Target Baby Laundry Detergent: Well I can't find a link on that silly website but I promise it exists. It is half the price of that highway robbery Dreft and works just as well.
17) Large wash cloths: Why you ask do I need wash cloths the size of my entire baby? Because when you are bathing them you can cover them neck to ankles with these gems so that don't catch a chill. They are super ugly but they are the only ones available that are huge + nice and soft.
Ugly Large Washcloths: Buy Here
18) Two hampers, Two diaper pails, Two wipe warmers: I recommend these items in my last post but if you live in house where your room is on a different floor than your baby's room then you will want these items available on the floor you are most hanging out on.
Two Hampers for $40- Buy here
19) Baptism Outfit: (Catholic side note) If you can actually get your baby baptized then there is nothing better then a baby boy in a BUBBLE. Nothing! This one is A-DOR-ABLE. Yes you need the shoes and hat too.
baptism bubble: BUY HERE
20) Inchbug- Orbit Labels: If your child is attending daycare "school" then you will want to label your bottles. These are great. They also have clothing labels for jackets, hats, lunch bags and cloth diapers too!
Bottle Labels- Buy Here
Fall/Winter Baby: Jack was a fall baby so I used all of these things pretty early on...
1) Bunting: I can't stand those J. Cole Bundle me do-hickey's. I love some good bunting though. This is adorable in grey. Jack had navy...
North Face Baby Bunting: buy here
2) Car Seat Cover: It's like a blanket that attaches over the top of the car seat. Very necessary if you live in a horrible cold weather locale.
Cute Cover: Buy Here
Spring/Summer Baby: Finny
1) Sunhat: Ummm. I bought this after I saw it on a kiddo whose Mom is super stylish. I immediately amazon-ed ( making that a verb) it "striped sun hat" and it came up. I love it! Finny has it in red and blue.
My favorite Sunhat (boy or girl)- buy here
2) Stroller Shade Extender: You will be amazed at how psycho you become about even a speck of sun hitting your baby's sensitive skin. Since they can't wear sunscreen until 6 months (wait...what?!) you have to cover them without making them hot when you go on your daily outing to the park.
Stroller Shade Extender-Buy Here
3) Stroller fan: Yep. Pretty self explanatory.
Stroller Fan-Buy Here
4) Beach Tent: For baby's first trip to the beach!!! Also works well if you have older children that you have to take to soccer games or the playground or playdate.
Beach Tent: Buy Here
5) Beach Fan (portable): You put this is the beach tent, but careful if you have a baby that already rolls over. We don't want them sticking their little fingers or toes in there. OUCH!
Portable Beach Fan: Buy Here
Great read, Molly. Though I'm way past the child bearing stage in my life, I love reading your posts. Especially because I can totally hear you saying each sentence & the humorous tone you convey through them.
ReplyDeleteAlso, excellent tips! Crazy to say with as little time that has passed since I've had my kids, so many of those items weren't even around "back then". ;)