Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Planner

I am a planner. Everyone that knows me can attest to the fact that I love to make a solid plan. Planning is my way of having control...over everything. It is my way of having some semblance of order over the chaos. It helps me to feel calm, reassured, and balanced when things are done according to plan and ahead of schedule. My mom use to drive me nuts with her plans (be quiet Kaye, I know you think we are the same person) but she always use to tell me, "Kids need structure it makes them feel loved".
This pregnancy has been no different. I have felt from the beginning that making plans for Baby Jack, doing things ahead of time and organizing all the details is my way of showing him how much I care. Here are some scary examples of my intense pre-planning during pregnancy. Some would say I was a little a head of the game:
First Trimester
Week 7: Signed up for prenatal yoga class at Urban Breath
Week 12: Completed my on-line registry at Babies "R"Us
Second Trimester
Week 15: Met with and hired a Doula (birthing coach)
Week 16: Took a Tour of MoBap and Saint John's Hospitals to decide where to deliver
Week 17: Packed my hospital bag (Can you believe it?) and preregistered at Missouri Baptist so I wouldn't have to worry about supplying all my information at registration when I go into labor.
Week 22: I received confirmation that the baby was a boy. Immediately ordered furniture for the nursery and all of the bedding (which I had selected in advance and was waiting in my on-line checkout basket).
Week 23: Chose a name for the baby (John Everett "Jack")
Week 24: Went to our first Natural Childbirth Class
Third Trimester
Week 27: Scheduled to interview three different pediatricians
Week 29:  Completed set-up of the nursery
Week 30: First Baby Shower
Week 31: Chose pediatrician (Dr.Mona Yassin- Missouri Baptist Pediatrics) and started our second natural childbirth class
Week 32: Second Baby Shower
Week 33- 35-Reading every attachment parenting and breastfeeding books I can get my hands on.Signed up for Baptismal Classes and set a date for baptism. 

I realize from here on out I will have to begin to go with the flow. You can't plan when you go into labor, what labor will be like or how long it will take. It scares me so much to think that I can't control how Jack is brought into this world and by what methods. Pat and I are planning with our Doula to have a natural childbirth for as long as I can stand it. The idea of being induced with Pitocin even freaks me out. The most "drugs" I have ever taken for pain were Extra Strength Migraine Medicine and the closest I've come to surgery was having a mole removed. I still have in my wisdom teeth and plan on leaving them there until they poise an imminent threat.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TAKE A MOMENT HERE AND DIAGNOSE MY NEUROSES :)
The other thing that worries me is that my doctor isn't exactly on the non-medicated plan with me. I tried to discuss with him my fears of being induced due to the percentage of inductions that lead to cesarean, but he more or less blew me off. I am banking on not seeing him till Jack is ready to be caught and hope that he won't interfere with my "plan". 
As we move through the next couple of weeks I will try and have an open-mind and go into the process without fear (this is pretty much my mantra or lie to myself) so that I don't succumb to the fear!
Below is my birth plan. We'll see how it goes.
  • I would like Patrick present at all times-even in an emergency C-section
  • I prefer intermittent fetal monitoring or wireless monitoring so that I am free to move around
  • I will ask if I need an epidural or other pain medication. I would not like it offered.
  • I would like to change positions during labor and delivery
  • I prefer to spend the first stage of labor: at home, walking, using a birth ball or in the shower or tub
  • I would prefer skin-to-skin contact immediately after birth
  • I would like to breastfeed within the first hour of birth 
  • I would like Patrick to cut the umbilical cord
  • I prefer the baby's medical exam and bathing to be done in the room
I told you I was a planner...
My Birth Plan- All typed up and ready to go!


My Pregnancy Journal- Where I've hatched all my plans :)

Just an example of the entries

My hospital bag- Ready to go since 5 months prego

Jack's Hospital Bag-Filled with everything he'll need

Jack's Homecoming Outfit- Laid out and ready to roll


To learn more about natural birth:
www.bradleybirth.com
www.birthingfromwithin.com
www.doulasofgreaterstlouis.com

To take a virtual online tour of MoBap Child Center:
http://www.mobapbaby.org 

5 comments:

  1. Patrick had an outfit like Jack's hoemcoming ensemble....sometime I'll have to tell you the story about what happened with that

    ReplyDelete
  2. NERD ALERT! Adorable. But still Nerd Alert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your birth plan is great! Do you have any preferences about tearing vs. episiotomy? That is something I included. Just thought I'd mention it! Also, make sure you don't go to the hospital too early (even if your water breaks), I got there at 8.5 cm and the nurses were still pushy about certain things and I was almost ready to push. :) Your plan sounds awesome, good luck lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will not be quiet....Sue Harris #2!!!! And I agree with Michael- nerd alert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I would like to mention that I was forced to list all the shower gifts in that book.

    ReplyDelete

It's fun when you leave a message! It makes me feel neat.