As I head into week 8 of motherhood I've been tackling the nearing end of my stay-at-home Molly lifestyle. I have been preparing to make my return to the "real world" of student teaching January 3rd. Mostly I've been spending time focusing in on hugging, squeezing, talking to and smooching on the boo-boo. In other words, I've been neglecting my addiction to technology in order to do so. I seriously treasure the routine we have fallen into and will really miss it when I have to rush off to school each morning. On the other hand, I am so excited to finally get into the classroom and begin teaching! This is my dream actualized.
Jack and I have had a hard time snapping out of our stay-at-home lifestyle. For the past 3-4 weeks we have gotten into a lovely daily routine. For anyone that knows me, you can attest to the fact that I love routines, structure, schedules, plans, course of action, action plans... A daily planner is my livelihood.My google calendar is always up on the computer screen. When I was a nanny I had my little girls on a daily schedule and they loved the reliability that it provided. One time I was running behind in our morning routine and one of the girls reminded me that it was time for our walk and then our snack. My mom use to say, "Kids need structure. Kids like rules. It makes them feel loved." She must have loved the heck out of us because we lived the most regimented life you can imagine.
I have carried this on into motherhood. Jack wakes up for a early morning feeding at 4 or 5 am. I get him out of bed and make it a point not to speak. Each room has a night light so I never have to switch on a light and fully wake him. We sit staring at each other as he feeds. I leave him swaddled the whole time. There is something so relaxing about sitting blurry eyed and still in a dream state while cuddled up under a blanket or in a big robe while I stare down at my tired, sleepy baby. I realize each morning that these quiet moments are fleeting.I walk around "Happiest Baby On the Block"-ing him for a few moments and then I quietly place him back in bed. He stirs around 8 or 8:30 for his next feeding and we continue the scene once more. Then he sleeps till 10:30. Perfect for a stay-at-home Molly that has loved sleeping in! After getting up at 10:30 we talk and laugh while I change his diaper. Give him a bath. Get him dressed and lay him on my bed while I get dressed. Then we go down to the kitchen and we continue to talk while I make my breakfast and we visit with the dog. We head upstairs after breakfast and have our play time on his mat or read books or dance to videos on youtube. By 12:30 or 1pm he is pooped. I feed him and then he takes a nice, long afternoon nap. I work on house work or get on the internet or read parenting books till he wakes up for his next feeding. We feed and then play until daddy gets home. Jack sits in his pumpkin seat while I make dinner. Pat and I catch up on the day.During the evening we play on his mat and watch T.V before starting our bedtime routine around 8:45.
I am so sad to see this all end, but I am excited to start something new. I have played through in my head a sketch version of our work-day routine, but I'm unsure about how it will go. I think I will start that routine the week after Christmas so I can be mentally prepared for my first day January 3rd.
I am worried about balancing the demands of student teaching with a newborn. I feel like I am auditioning for my whole career and the weight of the world is upon me. At the same time, these first few months of Jack's life are so precious and I am scared to death to miss any of it. I am unsure about how I will handle things from day-to-day. I know that I will be gone from 7:15-5:15 everyday and then there is homework for student teaching, lesson planning, grading and compiling my culminating project for graduate school. Pat will also be working on his practicum for counseling and will also have night classes for graduate school. Libby will be here and that brings me comfort, but I am still terrified.
I know I can handle it all. I am super organized and have great time management. These skills should serve me well as I make this huge transition. I can't wait to share my transition from stay-at-home Molly to working momma!
![]() |
| Morning Bath Time |
| Morning Smiles |

Making the transition is hard but you will do great!!!!
ReplyDelete