Yesterday, we had his doctor's appt and they had to give him THREE shots! I brought my sister along for moral support as I knew it would be scary (for me) and a scream fest (for jack). He did really well, besides screaming, but I put him right to the boob after and he forgot all about it. He slept the rest of the afternoon until it was time to go to our Post-Saint Nick's Day party at my Mom's house (yes, I still get a St. Nick's Stocking). Today he has been having explosive poop episodes that involve wiping down his entire back after. I called the doctor and they didn't seem too concerned. He is still eating like a champ even though he is being a crab store.
Overall Update:
Jack is an amazing little guy and I love his little self everyday more and more. Since he is feeling better he is showing so much more personality! He laughs and smiles at me and he clearly recognizes my voice and face versus other people. We have started him on a bedtime routine this week and it has worked great! The second night he slept for 7 hours!
Jack's Stats:
Weight: 11 lbs and 12 ounces
Height: 23.75 inches (holy cow!)
Head : 14inches
Milestones:
Health and Wellness:
- Jack gained 12 ounces since his doctor's visit a month ago on 11/9. Overall he has gained 2 lbs and 12 ounces since his birth. The doctor said he is putting on a healthy weight and is growing in length which is why he isn't pudgy. Grandma has to keep buying him new clothes to keep up!
- Now that we are over the 6 week colic hump THINGS HAVE GOTTEN SO MUCH BETTER! The doctor told me that his reflux would get better as his digestive system continued to mature. That plus the Zantac, gripe water and reflux avoidance strategies (never laying him flat on his back, keeping him upright after eating, making sure he burps, and bicycling his legs) have all helped him get better.
- He still has a lot of burping and spit up, but she said the Zantac would only take away the acidity of the reflux and it isn't going to eliminate his gas problem.
- He can hold objects like his favorite elephant for a short time.
- He tracks objects with his eyes and turns his head to find the source of sounds
- Makes different noises and imitates sound. He will repeat the sound "hi"! It is crazy! I know he doesn't know what it means and he won't do it unless you repeat it to him several times.
- Sleeps through the night (7 hours straight) in his own bed.
- Takes a morning nap around 11:30 and an afternoon/early evening nap around 4pm
- We've established a night time routine: eat dinner, get a bath or massage, put on pj's, swaddle, read a book, go to bed. We start at 7:45 and put him in bed by 9pm. He'll sleep till 4 or 5am and then get up to breastfeed. After burping and diaper change he will go back to sleep till 9 am.
- He can pull up when you hold onto his hands and when holding him against your shoulder he can pull back and look around.
Attachment:
- Jack definitely recognizes the voices and faces of Mommy and Daddy. He looks around when he hears my voice enter a room and he shows signs of excitement when he hasn't seen one of us for a while.
- He has been smiling and laughing a lot and coos when he is pleased.
- Jack seems to remember objects and has shown excitement when he sees his elephant. He even reaches out to grab a hold of it.
- My supply has definitely met the demand and I no longer make an overabundance of milk. Darn! My dreams of being a wet nurse have been dashed! :)
- Jack continues to do well with feedings although during the day he sometimes gets too exited and will wiggle around a lot.
- He has been taking a bottle really well since Week 2 and has even taken several in a row so Mommy could enjoy and night out.
- As you know from my previous post I was dabbling with some serious depression. Although things have been going really well with Jack I couldn't control my hormonal imbalance and would find myself crying ALL THE TIME. After a pretty rough weekend, I decided that in order to be the best mom I could be I needed to bite the bullet and take the medicine. It took a few days, a lot of consideration and the support of some other really great mommies, but I decided that I needed some temporary help. I have been on it since Sunday and I feel like a totally different person. I feel like myself again and I'm able to enjoy my husband (whom I'd been taking a lot out on) and my new boo-boo( who I was becoming WAY to overprotective of).
- I began working out last week and I have lost an additional 7 lbs. That puts me at a post-prego weight loss of 38 lbs. I still need to lose an additional 30 to get back to my wedding day weight. I'm trying to not put too much pressure on myself and enjoy the holidays, but it's hard not to constantly worry.
- I am dealing with stretch mark city....I've been told by my doctor that they will fade but I think he just didn't want to see any more tears that day in his office.
- Now that I am getting more rest it doesn't look like I got punched in the face as much, but I still have the look of someone who's been out all night partying.
Overall Postpartum:
I am beginning to settle in a little more to motherhood. Pat commented last night that it is amazing that I can recognize Jack's different cries and noises and distinguish what he wants fairly quickly. I have been getting out and about with him a lot on my own and feel pretty confident doing so. I am looking forward to my first Christmas with Jack and can't wait to share all of our traditions with him.
I am nervous about going "back to work". As you may know I am a full time graduate student and this semester I will be doing my practicum to satisfy the requirement for certification in elementary education. I can't wait to get in the classroom and meet all the kiddos, but I was becoming terrified of bringing Jack to the daycare at the school. As it turns out, the daycare was unable to take him (hello three weeks before school starts!). After scrambling around calling every respectable nanny, in-home daycare and nursery in Saint Louis. I thought of a brilliant plan!!! Libby (my little sister- see Week 37 and Homage to Libby) is graduating this December and will be coming home from her internship in New York to take a breather and start looking for a job in NYC. As all of us know how depressing it can be to go from living on your own for four years to living back in your parents house. I decided to offer for her to live here and watch Jack for me (while I pay her) for 10 weeks while I finish my practicum. She graciously agreed and will be moving in upon her return Dec 18th! It will be so nice to have someone to spend my days with until I begin student teaching. I think it will help so much with my loneliness problem and it will be great to catch up.
I am so thankful for my friends, family and the many fellow bloggers and moms that have reached out to me over these first few weeks of motherhood. It may take a village to raise a child, but it also takes one to raise a new mother.
xoxo Molly
Wow!! Everything sounds like it's going great!!
ReplyDeleteOne quick comment about the stretch marks, I have a TON of stretch marks from Dominick. All over my stomach, sides, legs, breasts, you name it. It took awhile but they did fade. Not completely but you can barely see them. I'm waiting for them to "flare" up again with this pregnancy or to get new ones, but none so far. I'll still probably never wear a bikini again, but that's because I don't want to. I probably could. So don't worry about those. Plus they give you character. It shows what you went through and did for your son and you have no reason to be ashamed/embarrassed. It's not worth it. I was embarrassed and ashamed for a LONG time after Dom, and they are really no big deal.
Sounds like you are a fantastic mom and I am so happy for you. I hope your first Christmas as a family of three is everything you want it to be. :)
Molly,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to hear that things are going so great for you. Yes, I still do St. Nick's as well and we have a blast with it!!!! Be so grateful that Jack sleeps 7 hours straight, as you know Mason didn't do that until he was 10 months old. The past two nights he has been getting up at 1, so I don't think it will ever end. As for the medicine, I had to do it too. I felt no shame in it as I needed to take some kind of control of myself again. I felt that if it helped then I could be a better mom and wife again. I took it until I felt better and I do not need it anymore. Those hormones for me, stuck around for a long time. You are doing great and Jack is sooo cute!!!! As for the daycare thing, that is awesome!!! You will be much happier with him at home, knowing he is being taken care of. I was lucky and had no stretch marks. BUT, you know that dark line that most pregnant woman get, mine starts below my breasts and goes to my pubic line. IT HAS NOT GONE AWAY nor does my doc think it will!!!! But, its a part of my post baby body and I have learned to just deal with it.
just found your blog, congrats on your adorable little one!
ReplyDeletethanks for the honest report about life as a mom :)
http://bottleblack.blogspot.com
I've been looking around for real experience on post partum from new mommies. I've read some articles and studies from doctors but it's still different when you hear it direct from other moms. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your new baby! Happy holidays! :)
ReplyDelete