Friday, December 3, 2010

Becoming Motherhood

"You are not your thoughts, or your moods, that all pass. You are, in your essence, benevolence."
 -Buddha

"Mindful motherhood is not about becoming someone other than who you already are."

 "These facts are not necessarily good or bad. They just are."
-Cassandra Vieten
I will admit I've had a rough go at the first month of motherhood. My expectations, my guilt, my fear, my worries, my exhaustion all caught up with me. As I head into the 6th week of life as a mother I have realized that the moment your baby is born you are a mother, but it takes time, practice and awareness to become motherhood. I realize this doesn't make sense. What I mean is, you don't just become a mom overnight or through hours of intense labor. Being someone's mom and motherhood as a lifestyle are two different things. You almost have to live your way into motherhood. You have to become motherhood.

Jack is finally past the colic stage as we move into week 6. Now that I have a moment to catch my breath, I have had to come to terms with some feelings I have been having.

For instance, how do you know the difference between "baby blues" and postpartum depression? I've been extremely moody, crying at the drop of a hat, reluctant to hang out with close friends. Does that constitute postpartum depression? And how long does it go on for? I had all these questions whirling around in my head and I was afraid to admit to anyone how I felt. Mostly I thought these feelings of worry, depression and moodiness made me a bad mom.
I went for my 6 week check-up yesterday. I wanted to discuss it with my doctor then...that didn't go so well. He just signed me up for a prescription and sent me on my way. What I wanted to hear was validation. Validation that becoming a mom and living your way into motherhood is a hard transition. One that is filled with worry, regret, self-doubt, disillusionment countered with overwhelming feelings of love, excitement and awe. My fears were only exacerbated by the fact that his suggestion to me equaled some inadequacy on my inability to handle the transition. As if I had control over how I am feeling. That was the thing. I wanted to validate the fact that you can't choose how you handle the transition.

That is what caught me off guard about this whole thing. It's not that I wasn't prepared on how hard it would be. I love being around children. I was a nanny up until the third trimester. At times I would watch up to four children under the age of three for 8 hours at a time. I knew how hard it could be. I felt more than capable and prepared. I knew the downsides of the sometimes loneliness of being the only adult or the fear and worry when something goes wrong. I even watched a three month old baby boy who had colic. He would cry a majority of the time I was there. So why was I having such a hard time. Why couldn't I control how I felt?

I came to realize that maybe that's the thing. Maybe the lack of control on how you become a mother; on how motherhood takes shape is the part that is so grappling.

I filled the prescription. I didn't take the medicine though. I couldn't bring myself to it. There is nothing wrong with taking it. I know that, but I don't think validation comes in a bottle- nor does control.

4 comments:

  1. My daughter is 3 weeks old and the anxiety that I feel is almost debilitating I dont sleep unless my fiancee is awake and she is in his arms for fear that she will stop breathing! She now has a cold and I feel like such a failure as I she wakes her self up with every sniffle! I can't help but think that maybe if I hadnt allowed visitors after her birth she wouldnt be suffering right now! this transition into motherhood is by far the loneliest, most challenging, scary thing I ever done and I pray it gets easier everyday! I'll say a prayer for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Molly! I don't even know you but I love reading your blog. I have two little boys of my own, and understand everything you are saying. I have never commented on a blog before, but this post is making me! Motherhood is hard, and I don't think anyone can ever prepare themselves for it and how much you will love that little guy. However, it is not easy and when you are dealing with all of the body issues and lack of sleep that come with a first time baby especially, it makes it almost unbearable at times. You are doing a fantastic job. It is completely normal to feel like this. Every mother in the world has felt like this at some point, but the good news is it will get better. Your sweet baby will begin to sleep through the night soon, and that is life changing for your moods and outlook. In the meantime, know that your feelings are normal and that you are doing a great job in this difficult transition. As hard as it is, don't shut out close friends or family. Vent to them, cry to them, and know that if they are moms, they have been there too. I'm sorry your doctor wasn't a bigger help. I love my husband but even the most sensitive man in the world will never understand this. If you need meds, don't feel like a failure for taking them. The important thing is to do whatever you need to do to be the best mommy to Jack. Hang in there, and know you are not alone! It will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was given a prescription too. I told my doctor I didn't want to have to rely on it to feel better...Well I ended up taking it, and once I started to feel better I asked myself was it tha medicine that changed the way I felt or just time; I still don't know. However, if you do take it do not go off of it cold turkey, wean yourself. I had some issues since I just stopped. Like I said I don't like to have to rely on medicine, but I think that it might have helped me, along with time. That is your choice, I do like that you decided not to take it though, I beleive in other ways to feel better; talking!
    Also, it is that time of year, cold weather, its gloomy outside, depression is common; that might not help with the adjustment of motherhood either? These are just my opinions and what I went through will be different than what you are going through. My doctor actually talked to me about all of it first and even suggested that I go talk to someone more qualified in the area. I think just talking to my husband helped me!
    It is going to be hard at first, as you have figured out. It is hard to become a mother and not lose yourself at the same time. The wanting to be around friends will come back, I promise, it just takes TIME!
    It sure does look like you are doing a great job, Jack seems awesome! (I mean he loves good music ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. molly! reading your post gives me hope that things will get better, just based on the fact that we can find solace in knowing we are not alone in this! i'm a little over 2 weeks in with my little one and the roller coaster ride of feelings and hormones has gotten even more intense. i've had great support from my husband and mom and in-laws, but sharing the same emotions with friends who are mothers themselves is the most helpful. it doesn't make me feel so isolated. i've cried and laughed, have felt like a failure and like supermom, but ever day there is something to remind me that it's getting better...little by little. thank you for sharing something so personal...hopefully i can be an encouragement to you too at some point. take care sweetie. un beso from mexico!

    ReplyDelete

It's fun when you leave a message! It makes me feel neat.