Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Motherhood Day 5


I love being a mom. I still can't believe that a week ago today I felt like Jack would never get here. Now we have already settled into a routine; a dance back a forth between him and Pat and I. We are able to sense what Jack needs and tell what he is feeling. He already shows so much personality even though he sleeps 16 hours a day, eats 6 and is alert for 15 min intervals here and there.
Jack showing off his personality! He would smile and chuckle after every kiss I gave him!

We have been breastfeeding and that has been such a great experience. My milk came in the day after he was born so I am confident about his nutritional well-being and feel that breastfeeding has been a great bonding experience. Due to the milk coming in so quickly and the fact that I make so much we had a few engorgement issues but we worked through that and things are going great.
He latched on right away in the delivery room!


Today we had his first doctor's appointment because our pediatrician was on vacation during our time in the hospital. She was really impressed with Jack and thought everything was going great. Unless something comes up we don't even have to go to our two week appointment!
Jack at his first doctor's appt

Jack's Stats:
Weight: 8 lbs and 11 ounces (he lost weight since birth which is pretty normal)
Length: 21 inches (he shrank from 22 and 3/4)
Head: 14 cm

He is in the 90th percentile for height and 75th for weight. He is tall and lean just like his dad! He honestly doesn't even seem like he could weigh 8 lbs and 11 ounces. All the newborn clothes are huge in the body and short in the length so it is really hard to find something to put him in besides undershirts and swaddling blankets.

Note how he can't stretch out his legs because the outfit is too short!


My mom is coming to stay with us the rest of the week and I am really excited. Pat goes back to work on Wednesday and I was really nervous about life on our own. So my mom offered to stay with me for the remainder of the week.
My mom over visiting Jack on Sunday night


Tonight we introduced Ellie and Jack. Ellie is our five year old Great Dane. She is pretty fickle and tends to have quite the anxiety disorder. I put off introducing them until we had all settled into the house over the weekend. We have three stories in our house and since I was having a lot pain from birth Jack and I never left the third floor all weekend. We introduced them tonight. The event proved to be pretty uneventful. See below.
Ellie after meeting Jack

Jack after meeting Ellie


We have been giving Jack washcloth baths before bed every other night. He doesn't really enjoy them, but for some reason every brand of diaper we try leaks. Therefore, he is always getting urine all over himself, us and any surface he is laying on. What is the deal with this? Why don't any of the diapers work? We thought it was the sizing so we switched but that made no real impact on the situation. It is quite frustrating to constantly have to change his clothes, wash them and wash any other soft surface that was effected by the spill. Help!

Still trying to find time to write Jack's birth story. It was truly amazing and so I want to take the time to tell the experience right. Any extra time I have when Jack is sleeping...I am sleeping. Except for right now. I can't sleep.

Also Thank you for all of the kind comments over the last week from friends, family and NEW FOLLOWERS to the blog! Thank you for sticking by me as I've been on a blogging hiatus the last five days...I hope you understand.

6 comments:

  1. Have you tried Luvs brand? Lilla pees through everything except Luvs. I'm so happy for you! You seem like you're doing awesome, mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laney leaked through her diapers constantly when she was a newborn...I thought it was because she had skinny little legs & apparently they make diapers to fit chunky legs. Once she porked up a little bit, the leaking stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!! :) I am so happy for you and Pat.

    As for the diapers, I was going to suggest getting a different size, but you already tried that...so I'm kind of at a loss! Sorry!! We always used Pampers Swaddlers and those worked best for us. I hope you find something that works soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Molly! I look forward to reading more about baby Jack and the rest of your fam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations again! And as for the diapers maybe it is one of two things: 1) Is his little man pointing down when you put on the diaper? I remember how sometimes this was an issue for us and consequently the pee would go up and you've got a wet outfit. or 2) are you folding the diapers down around his umbilical cord? maybe the diapers are leaking that way, also an issue we had. Hope you figure it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! WE love your blog! We are a company called Padalily, our product is a cushion that comforts mom's sore arms. It wraps around the car seat handle so mom's have an easier time to carry the handle in the bend of their arm. We would love to find out how to do a giveaway or review on your blog. Would you be interested in something like that?
    If so ,please contact whitney@padalily.com

    ReplyDelete

It's fun when you leave a message! It makes me feel neat.