I was reading a friend's blog about Postpartum today and as she quoted some of her fellow new momma's words about the dreadful "baby blues" (I wish I could punch that word in its face) I realized that a mother"hood" has formed across blogs. I never would have had the courage to write and speak out about my own experience with motherhood had it not have been for the other mother's blogs I'd read. I often wondered if my words were too discouraging or "dark" or selfish. I was worried about writing them. Then I would press publish and get emails and comments from fellow mothers in the "hood". Their comments were beautiful, painful, refreshing and supportive. Some spoke about their similar feelings and their fear of sharing the madness that results from postpartum hormones, breastfeeding, lack of sleep, insecurities, fear, anxiety, bliss, love, disillusionment and Zoloft. I was so comforted by their words. Even though I confided in Pat- I feared that he was silently judging me. I knew among these mothers I wasn't because their words were so sincere. It is amazing how similar and yet how unique at the same time motherhood can be. The bond that is formed with other mothers is unlike any other friend relationships you might have.
As I sipped my coffee, held my boo-boo and scanned my mom blogs this morning an Allen Ginsberg stanza from "Howl" popped in my head. I couldn't help but laugh:
Carl Solomon! I am with you in Rockland
where you are madder than I am
I'm with you in Rockland
where you must feel very strange...
I'm with you in Rockland
where you laugh at this invisible humor
I'm with you in Rockland
where we are great writers on the same dreadful typewriter
I'm with you in Rockland
where your condition has become serious and is reported on the radio....

No comments:
Post a Comment
It's fun when you leave a message! It makes me feel neat.