I think one of the most important things that I learned about pregnancy and childbirth is that although like 4 million babies are born each year- your child's birth is unique to you. It is so important to advocate for the birth of your child. Although, the most important outcome is a healthy baby.
Jack was 2 weeks overdue. I pushed off an induction for as long as it was safe and healthy to. The night I checked in for my induction I went into labor naturally. 13 hours later (see birth story) we had our baby boy. Being overdue I learned a lot and tried several methods to preparing my body for birth that I believe helped during labor and delivery. Although, Jack took a while coming once he was ready to go I only pushed for a couple of minutes.
For the last few weeks of pregnancy:
1) Evening Primrose Oil:
This technique is a natural way to soften the cervix. After using it for a whole weekend I went to the doctor on Monday and had dilated 1 cm. You can buy it at Whole Foods, The Natural Way or Amazon.com
2) Red Raspberry Leaf Tea:
This tea is suppose to help to induce labor, increase contractions and ease labor pains. Plus it tastes awesome...
3) SpinningBabies.com:
A great website that gives you techniques for getting your baby in the ideal position
4) Leg Massage:
Leg and foot massage can be done to stimulate contractions in the last weeks before pregnancy. It also is a good way to sucker your husband into giving up a free massage. Just say its for the baby.
5) Yoga poses: Similar to spinning babies' theories certain yoga poses can help prepare your muscles for labor and delivery. It can also help to get your mind in order before the baby comes.
6) Pressure Points: I can't stress this one enough. My doctor told me during labor that I was going to have to have a C-Section due to lack of progression. My doula immediately started doing pressure points (till her fingers were numb) and two hours later Jack was ready to come!
7) Ask Questions: Make sure that you are comfortable with all medical decisions that your doctor makes
You can clarify in a respectful way her reasoning for a certain procedure, medication, or other intervention. This list was given to me by my doula and complied by Debbie Young.
- Is this an emergency or do we have time to talk?
- What would be the benefits of doing this?
- What would be the risks?
- What other procedures or treatments might we end up needing as a result?
- What else could we try first?
- What would happen if we waited an hour or two before doing what you suggest?
- What would happen if we didn't do it at all?
- May we have a few minutes alone to discuss the situation?




Hey! I'm Nicole, I work with Pat at the Crate! I thought this was really interesting, I just watched this documentary the other day called Pregnant in America and it was all about how inductions, c-sections and epidural's have become so widely accepted when they are very serious decisions that most women don't think twice about because their doctor's tell them they should use them. Especially with c-sections, doctor's will sometimes convince you that you need one just because it's easier on their schedule. I just thought that it was funny your doctor told you, you would need one and you didn't and that your friend's doctor is telling her that two weeks prior. Great Post!
ReplyDeleteLove this!!
ReplyDelete