Disclaimer: For any mom-to-be or new mom who is reading this I want to make my stance clear. I think breastfeeding is the best thing for your baby. It's worth giving it a concerted effort and at least trying to give it a whirl. At the same time- you must do what is best for your family. Sometimes things happen that you don't plan on and you're not able to breastfeed. Understood-but at least make an attempt.
As you may have read, Jack has had MAJOR colic from Day 2. He has all the classic symptoms: excessive spit up, vomiting, gas...and inconsolable crying spells. The first three months were absolutely painful. We tried everything to help him (not lying him on his back, swaddling, Zantac, Mylicon, watching my diet, not watching my diet, baby massage, warm baths, bicycling his legs, more frequent feedings, ultrasound...) but nothing seemed to help. Our doctor kept urging us to continue breastfeeding (which I planned on doing anyway until he was one) because it is easier to digest than formula.
I love breastfeeding and I'm somewhat of a pro at it (not to brag). I always had plenty of milk and never had trouble pumping. However, while student teaching I got sick (kid germs galore!) and had to take medicine that zapped my supply. I continued pumping and feeding, but I had to make the heartbreaking decision to supplement with formula. I had some on hand (Similac Advance Ready-To-Feed Liquid Formula) and supplemented two bottles a day. HE DID AMAZING! This went on for a week. He slept better, he was in a great mood, he had far less crying spells and less explosive diarrhea.
I decided to continue supplementing for a month now. I've seen such an improvement in the amount of spit-up, colic behavior and overall gas problem. This week I decided that it might be best to stop breastfeeding despite everything I've read. I felt guilty even thinking about giving him formula exclusively. I've read all the research that proves breast is best, but I also see that he is so much happier. This is one of the hardest decisions I've had to make. I finally decided this week (three days from turning 5 months old) that I am going to make the switch and only breastfeed him at dinnertime. The rest of the day I will formula feed him. I'm going to continue to pump and store milk.
I still urge mothers to breastfeed. I think it is so important. I also plan on breastfeeding the next time around. I know I am doing what's best for Jack. I guess this is just one of many hard decisions I'll have to make throughout his life.
![]() |
![]() |
| He's pumped about Formula and Tank Tops |


You have to do what keeps your son healthy & happy. Don't feel guilty mama :)
ReplyDeleteAwww that sucks! But at the same time, it's great that he's doing better. My supply has been dwindling gradually since I started school. I can still feed Camille to satiety, but it's getting harder and harder to pump extra to store. I know how you feel about not wanting to supplement with formula, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do!
ReplyDelete