Saturday, February 5, 2011

February 5th, 2010

Warning: This post contains lady business
This day last year I was driving home from work remembering that I was suppose to start my period. I pulled into Target to get some Tampons and for some odd reason a pregnancy test. For years I had a sneaking suspicion... or complex that I was barren. So buying the pregnancy test was really just a fun game. I didn't really think I could possibly be pregnant.

Pat and I had been "trying" for a year to get pregnant, but to no avail. We weren't getting worked up about it and figured when the timing was right it would happen. Since I was in school full-time and Pat was starting graduate school we didn't think "the timing" would be for a while. I realize this plan wasn't fool-proof and we were leaving our fate up to the gods.

I came home that night and put my purchases on the table. No big deal. I was starting to cook dinner when Pat came home. Seeing the Target bags on the table he thought he'd be helpful and unload them for me. Then he asked, "Tampons and a pregnancy test? What's up with this?" I explained that I usually start my period like clock-work on the morning of the 5th every month. No big deal, I assured him. I probably am just too stressed out with school and will start my period tomorrow. Before dinner was ready I went to use the bathroom and thought, "Oh what the hay. I'll take the test for kicks." I went upstairs to use the bathroom. Peed on the stick and instantly it said "PREGNANT". I didn't even have to wait the said amount of time for it to fertilize the stick. I knew right away. I used the digital test so the word apperared in all caps as if it was screaming at me. I yelled over the landing to the kitchen, "Ugh, Pat can you come here." Pat came upstairs (not knowing that I ran off to take the test). I said, "Will you look at something for me?" He went into the bathroom and I showed him the stick. He started making a really creepy smile and chuckling in a tone I had never heard. I told him to not get too excited until I season the other stick and find out for sure. 2 for 2 can't be wrong, right? I peed on the next stick and sure enough, before it was even fertilized it screamed, "PREGNANT". I was so excited I couldn't believe it. Not a moment of hesitation or concern. I WAS PREGNANT. Me, Molly Handrahan, PREGNANT!!!! We were so excited. We ordered Chinese and watched "Away We Go", one of my favorite all-time prego movies.

One year later, I am typing this blog while my baby is asleep in his bed. It is so surreal. I still have to stop and think, "I'm a mom? Really? That's awesome."
I love my son so much and I love Pat even more for the new journey we are on together.

Thank You, Pat for making my dreams come true.

2 comments:

  1. So Sweet! I remember when I found out I was pregnant, thinking to myself how should I react, especially when I tell Rick. It is a feeling you will never forget. Caleb is 17 months now and it is still so surreal! I love reading your blog, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I took a ton of tests, too. Just to be sure! I was afraid to tell Jake because I was sure he'd freak out. But he was more excited than I was. :P

    ReplyDelete

It's fun when you leave a message! It makes me feel neat.