In my plunge into motherhood I have also experienced a fair amount of weight gain. Although I still plan on eating healthy, working out and losing weight I have come to terms with the fact that I won't ever wear a size 4 again. From working many years peddling wares in the retail industry I have a boat load of clothes in those smaller sizes that I would like to part with.
Only, no resale shop wants skinny people clothes.
I was turned down from my size 4 Banana Republic suit pants, Jcrew Dresses and Premium Denim! As I sat in my car dumbfounded I wondered why they wouldn't want these freshly dry cleaned, gently used garments. I left feeling like I was in a scene from Pretty Women! "We don't have anything here for you". I decided to venture back in as a shopper and take a closer inspection into the world of "Upscale Resale".
Upon my arrival of my secret shopper mission I was noticing the font of the stores name, the layout inside and the window displays. All were working to conjure up the image of a french "boutique". Upon arriving I asked a friendly 50ish blonde about how the store was laid out. She pointed to various sections of "tops" all sized out in order of color and size. The pants and dresses were displayed the same way. Then I noticed there was a significantly smaller size section of Small/Medium to Large/Extra Large. The Small section of smalls seemed to have some good labels such as Splendid, Michael Starrs, Marc Jacobs and Jcrew but the section was very small limiting the amount. Then I moved onto the Large/ Extra Large sections. I went to 4 different "upscale" shops that were littered with Cold Water Creek, Chicos, Soft Surrondings and New York and Co.I wouldn't particularly call these "upscale labels" but rather "mall brands".
On my last secret shopping mission I decided to ask the owner (I am a freak) why I was having a hard time selling gently used, super classic work wear. She was really great and explained that there isn't a large market for skinny people business wear and basic Premium Denim due to that they just don't sell to that particular customer. She explained that most people shopping resale often don't have a need for everyday work basics but are looking for brands that offer more specialty items. Cold Water Creek?!?!?! Eek!
I decided this: I need to open a resale shop that only carries true "upscale brands"in seasons dating back at least 5 years. The youngest products we would take would be two previous seasons. Why you ask? Because I am in the market for some preppy vintage. As you know most preppy fashion is always in fashion because prepsters buy basics, staples and mainstays that cost a fortune and will last a lifetime. (Hey the rich are on to something!) The store would truly be merchandised as a boutique showing off "outfits" versus sectioned sizes and would charge higher prices to their customers, but still remaining half of the original purchase price. The boutique would be divided by Proprietor Preppy (for preppies that work), Philanthropist Preppy (parties and gala fashion) and Palm Springs Preppy (beachy, casual prep).
![]() |
| I encourage you to google, "Take Ivy" |
The name would be something Take Ivy (after the famous prepster publication documenting various Ivy League School's Style) or Bridles and Bits (equestrian terms) or Boom and Bow (sailing terms) or The Knot Shop (sailing knots...not your average resale shop)!
Who is in? Are you a mom looking to unload all your Lacoste, Lilly, Ralph Lauren Black Label... or maybe your weekend prep ( North Face, Reef, Paige) ? Do you feel that we have a market for such a shop?
Do you love things like stripes, monograms, seersucker, madras, grosgrain! Do you own boat shoes or bucks? Then you are the person I want to hear from!
| Yes! You! Lady with the Cable Knit! |

LOL! go momma go! those places always piss me off, i never go!!!
ReplyDelete